Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Distributions from foreign retirement plan

When reporting the distributions from foreign retirement plan as a manually entered 1099-R (which is not  provided by most foreign retirement plans), it asks for the 'Distribution Code', which is a required field in TurboTax online. Which code should one use?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@rickard , all same number  EION will not work ---   I usually suggest an obvious  dummy EIN   ( if blank is not accepted by the software )  such as   23 - 1234567  or  12-3456789 or something similar.

That is way I would do it  -- not as other income.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@rickard , if you download  and print the form 100-R from www.irs.gov, you will see all the codes listed.  Use appropriate one (s) to fill out this dummy 1099-R.  This will satisfy the software and meet IRS requirements  for recognizing and  taxing of the  income ( foreign source pension ).   Also if the foreign  taxing authority taxes this income then  depending on the exact facts and circumstances  ( country, type of pension etc. etc. ) this tax may be eligible for double tax amelioration ( foreign tax credit / deduction ).

Is there more I can do for you ?

Thanks for your quick answer. I tried entering the distribution from the foreign retirement plan as a 1099-R, as recommneded by some threads, with dummy figures 9s as as the payer ID. However, during TurboTax Review of the return, prior to filing, it prompts an error with "You must enter a valid employment identification number". It doesn't accept 9s. So the option of entering the distribution as a 1099-R doesnt' seem to work. Can you please confirm and is there another alternative of how to enterring it and then deduct the income from the state return? 

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@rickard , all same number  EION will not work ---   I usually suggest an obvious  dummy EIN   ( if blank is not accepted by the software )  such as   23 - 1234567  or  12-3456789 or something similar.

That is way I would do it  -- not as other income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies