Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Disaster area extension

TurboTax Deluxe for Tax Year 2023 calculates a penalty for late payment of estimated federal and California state taxes. But we live in a county listed as a disaster area in announcements by both the IRS and the California Franchise Tax Board that made the deadline for all tax payments, including estimated taxes, 16 October 2023. Consequently, estimated taxes not paid in January, April, June, and September are not late until 17 October 2023. How to get TurboTax to recognize that due to the disaster declaration we did not make late payments and therefore not to calculate a penalty for underpayment (late payment)

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Disaster area extension

For the federal tax return, at the end of the underpayment penalty section in TurboTax you come to a screen that says "Let the IRS Bill Me Later." That screen has two buttons: "Let the IRS Bill Me Later" and "Pay It Now." If you click "Let the IRS Bill Me Later" the penalty will be removed from your Form 1040.

Disaster area extension

Got it. Done that. But that is avoidance, not a TurboTax solution.

1. Responses from TurboTax support indicate that TurboTax "knows" about disaster declarations and should not calculate the penalty. I have not found the path to accomplish that.

2. The California return apparently does not have a similar path (let the California Franchise Tax Board calculate the penalty). The available strategy seems to be to request a waiver. But a waiver is not needed! There was no late payment.

In sum, I am looking for a TurboTax solution, rather than strategies to by-pass TurboTax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies