Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Depreciation and expenses

I've waterproofed my rental apartment.  This digging a trench around the back bedroom.  The cost was $6300.  Relocation of my tenant during construction was an additional $1500.  Retiling the floor, relacing wallboard and painting was an additional $4500.

Are all of these costs depreciable assets or can I expense the relocation costs or the painting/tiling/wallboard replacement?

And is there any way to accelerate the 27.r years of deprecation?

Thanks

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It depends. According to the following Turbo Tax link, the tile and the wallboard(including the painting would be considered a capital asset. If each activity is under $2500 however, you could expense by using the De Minimus Harbor rule that will allow you to expense capitalized assets. Please see this IRS link for more details.

You said you dug a trench around the back bedroom. Is that a permanent trench or were there additional material placed around the bedroom to waterproof it. The reason I ask because it is hard for me to envision a permanent, open trench. Let me know more information about the nature of the trench so i can advise you whether to expense it or capitalize it.

Relocation expenses spent to relocate your client is definitely an expense.  All capital assets listed as assets associated with this rental property are depreciated at 27.5 years.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the reply.  The trench is actually a channel to the basement apartment's sump pump.  It required jackhammers to put it in. This prevents water from seeping up in the middle of the floor.  It was concreted over hence the need for tile and wall board.  Guess that sounds like a capital asset.  

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, thank you. The total cost of the trench including the concrete and sump pump is definitely a capital asset to be depreciated over 27.5 years.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies