turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Depreciation 179

I purchased a new rental last April and over the summer I replaced a few appliances, one for $720 and another for $690.  

I have rental losses in total of $24,600 but I also have a S Corp in which my Schedule E is still a net positive.

Normally I'd just 179 the appliances and move on as depreciating out over five years for $200/yr just doesn't seem worth it. 

If I do 179 in this instance then the excess of $25k in losses will simply carry over until next year.  Is this a big deal to the IRS (like extra scrutiny) or should I just do the straight line to keep under the $25k max loss amount?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Depreciation 179

If the appliances were placed in service before 12/31/2023, you may consider taking the De Minimis Safe Harbor Election to expense them fully rather than adding them as rental assets. Generally, for assets costing less than $2,500 each, the Safe Harbor Election is a better choice.

As long as you are renting the property at Fair Market rent for your area, with an intent to make a profit, a loss in the first year shouldn't raise any flags.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Depreciation 179

If the appliances were placed in service before 12/31/2023, you may consider taking the De Minimis Safe Harbor Election to expense them fully rather than adding them as rental assets. Generally, for assets costing less than $2,500 each, the Safe Harbor Election is a better choice.

As long as you are renting the property at Fair Market rent for your area, with an intent to make a profit, a loss in the first year shouldn't raise any flags.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Depreciation 179

I like your De Minimis idea and I figured it out, thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies