Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dependent Question

My fiancé and I have 4 children they all have my last name. He claims 2 of them and I claim 2. My question is they audited him one year and said we needed to turn in school records showing that he lives with me. We turned in the necessary paperwork and they still said he owes for the dependent care credit that they paid him. How can we fix it to where he claims 2 and I claim 2 of the children and be ok? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Alicia65
Employee Tax Expert

Dependent Question

To claim the credit for dependent care, you need to claim the dependent. If your fiance claimed the child in question he is eligible for the credit. I am not sure why they wanted school records to show he lives with you.

It is okay for 2 parents who are not married to claim their children how ever they agree as long as you both do not claim the same child.

A qualifying person is:

• Your dependent who is under age 13 when the care is provided;
  • If you live together only one of you can be Head of Household the other is single.
  • If you live apart. The custodial parent has to sign a 8332 to release dependent.  
  • Bottom line only the person claiming the dependent can take the credit
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies