Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dependent Care Account

How can I better predict how much I will be able to contribute to a Dependent Care Account? It seems like every year it's a different amount and it make it hard to estimate how much I'll have. It's ranged from $750 one year to the full $5,000 in another.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
RyanH5
Employee Tax Expert

Dependent Care Account

Hi sarjhawk,
Thank you for joining us today. 
The IRS sets an annual limit of $5,000 per year on dependent care flexible spending accounts. This amount is lowered for highly compensated employees (HCE's) to $3,600 or $300 per month enrolled. For 2023, an HCE is defined as anyone who earns over $150,000. Individual benefit plans may set additional contribution limits. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Dependent Care Account

Thank you so much. I meet the qualification for a HCE but my employer hasn't adjusted anything yet - I'm still set on the $5,000. Will they be able to take the money away from me at the end of the year if they do indeed give me the full $5,000 and I spend it from the account?

RyanH5
Employee Tax Expert

Dependent Care Account

That is going to be dependent of the details of your plan. I would advise contacting your benefits coordinator with your employer. They will be able to explain your options.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies