Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kyle-williams-ny
Returning Member

Deductions for a 1099 - NEC working from a home office for 2022?

I received a 1099-NEC for a group practice of Therapists in LA while I lived in Brooklyn, NY for 2022. I worked from home and am looking for a list of possible deduction ideas and calculations. Can I deduct a portion of my rent as I used a part of my home as a home office? If so how much? Can I deduct the computer I purchased for work? Ect. THANK YOU! This was my main source of income so I'd like to know as many possible deductions that I can make as possible. Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Deduction of a home office requires strict requirements outlined here. 

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/how-small-business-owners-can-deduct-their-home-office-from-their-taxes

Costs of a computer and internet are deductible as a percentage of business usage. 

LeticiaF1
Expert Alumni

Since you were self-employed there are a lot of deductions you could claim as an expense.  One of them is the use of your home, expenses like mortgage interest, rent, utilities, repairs, and depreciation for the portion of your home or rental that you use to run your business are allowable.  To claim them your home must be used regularly and exclusively for your business, and must be your principal place of business

In addition to your home expenses, as Bsch4477 mentioned, you could also claim your computer, and internet use based on a percentage of how much they were used for business.  Other common expenses are the use of your phone, office supplies, licenses, and memberships, among others.  See the below TurboTax help articles for more information, as well as the steps on how to enter your home office expenses in the program:

Can I take the home office deduction?

What self-employed expenses can I deduct?

To enter your home office expenses:

1. Open or continue your return
  2. Search for Schedule C
  3. Select the Jump to link in the search results
  4. Answer any questions about your business until you get to the Your self-employed work summary screen
  5. Select Edit or Review next to your business
  6. Select Home Office
  7. Also, select any other expense categories that apply to your business
  8. Select Continue at the bottom of the screen
  9. On the Here's your work info screen, scroll down to the Expenses section
  10. Select Start next to Home Office.
  11. Enter the info about your home office (you’ll need the square footage of your home and of the space you used for work

@kyle-williams-ny 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies