Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tjsdas

Deduction for timeshare points donated to charity

I posted this the other day, but I need to give more detailed information in order to receive a useful answer.  Several years ago we purchased a timeshare through Wyndham.  We paid off the mortgage within a year of the purchase.  With the deeded purchase, we received points that we could use on vacations.  The points were given every other year as long as we paid the yearly maintenance fees and taxes.  As we have aged, we no longer want to travel to the places where the points could be used.  Wyndham has a program that allows you to give back your deeded timeshare to Wyndham.  There is no cost involved, nor is there any benefit to me other than not having to pay yearly maintenance fees and taxes.  When we went through that process in 2022 we had 154,000 points that we had not used.  Wyndham asked us if we would like to donate those points to a charity called Vacations for Vets.  We said sure.  We received a letter thanking us for the donation.  My question is, can the value of those points, which, I believe, is around $1,648, be deducted as a charitable donation.  If so, how would I list it in TurboTax?

Thank you for your help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PattiF
Expert Alumni

Deduction for timeshare points donated to charity

Yes, since those points were donated to a charity this will be a charitable donation.

The donation of your points will be considered a noncash donation. Keep the receipt from the charity with your records. The receipt will include the charity's name, address, date, donation location, and description of the item. Noncash donations over $500 also require a record of how the points were acquired and the value (adjusted basis). 

Manually enter your charitable donations directly into TurboTax using the following instructions:

1. Open your return in TurboTax
  2. In the search box, search for donations and then select the Jump to link in the search results
  3. Answer Yes when asked Did you make any donations to charity in 2022?
  4. Answer Yes to Do you want to enter your donations for 2022?
  5. Follow the instructions to enter your donations
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies