Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

claire921

Deducting Rent - Self-employed - No Work/Home Separation - Missionary

Hey all!

My tax situation is a bit complicated. I am an American citizen who lives abroad 95% of the time as a religious charity worker. I barely make $12,000 a year, and I'm still trying to figure out business expenses as a self-employed person.

Instead of doing the home-office deduction, is it feasible for me to deduct the rent (or at least part of it) I pay for my apartment overseas? Here's my reasoning for such a question...

• I only live overseas for my business - I would not live there, and therefore not have that flat, unless I worked there
  • If I did not live overseas, I would have a free place to live in the US, so the money I spend abroad on rent would not be spent otherwise
  • I am necessary for my job - the organisation I work with has a series of values and systems which make clear that I am the only one who can do my job (this point definitely has religious ties, eg "God called me to do this," which I've gathered is legitimate in a legal sense, but let me know if not!)
  • I work from my flat, everything from meetings with co-workers or clients, administration work, etc.

Basically, in my line of work, people are the "business" - I literally do not have a life outside of my "job", as my job is how I live and treat people 100% of the time. There is no work/home-life separation.

I really appreciate any help. Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies