turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deductibility of Health Insurance Premiums

In 2023, I paid family Cobra premiums that were subsidized by my former employer from March to July.  My wife is self-employed, and we switched to CHM (Christian Healthcare Ministries) from August to December.  Can we deduct the premiums paid to both, only one, or neither?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I assume you are asking about the self-employed health insurance deduction. You can take that for the months neither one of you was eligible to be covered on the company health insurance. That would appear to be August to December in your case. You can deduct all of the insurance premiums as itemized deductions, accept for any that you take the self-employed health insurance deduction for. Your health insurance is only deductible as an itemized deduction to the extent it exceeds 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. You may not benefit from itemizing your deductions if your standard deduction is more that your itemized deductions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You can deduct as an itemized medical  deduction on Sch A your unsubsidized premiums March-July. Your wife can deduct her premiums as self employed medical insurance deduction. 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I assume you are asking about the self-employed health insurance deduction. You can take that for the months neither one of you was eligible to be covered on the company health insurance. That would appear to be August to December in your case. You can deduct all of the insurance premiums as itemized deductions, accept for any that you take the self-employed health insurance deduction for. Your health insurance is only deductible as an itemized deduction to the extent it exceeds 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. You may not benefit from itemizing your deductions if your standard deduction is more that your itemized deductions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies