Were the real estate taxes paid in 2019? You must claim them in the year paid, not the year assessed.
Real estate taxes are part of itemized deductions. They are part of the state and local tax deduction, which is capped at $10,000.
To enter these deductions:
- Under the Federal menu, choose Deductions & Credits
- For real estate taxes, expand the menu for Your Home
- If the taxes are reported on a 1098, click Start/Revisit next to Mortgage Interest and Refinancing (Form 1098). Enter the information on the screens that follow.
- If the taxes are not part of a 1098, click Start/Revisit next to Property (Real Estate) Taxes. Enter the information on the screens that follow.
- Be careful not to enter the same taxes on both screens.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"