Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DAF Contribution

After receiving my RMD, I then a contributed a portion of it to our Donor Advised Fund, from which we allocate contributions to the various charities we support.  Because I wrote the check, it does not properly count as a QCD directly from our Financial Services Organization.  So how do I enter this amount in Turbo Tax??

Thanks,

Ron

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

DAF Contribution

You are correct in that a payment you made yourself to the charity isn't a Qualified Charitable Distribution, so your RMD/distribution may be taxable.

Enter the information on the Form 1099-R you received reporting the distribution in TurboTax exactly as it appears. In TurboTax Online, under Wages and Income:

1. Go to  IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R)
  2. Answer Yes on the screen, Did you get a 1099-R?
  3. If you land on the screen, Review your 1099-R info instead, select Add Another 1099-R
  4. Answer any questions until you get to the screen, Let's import your tax info. Here you can choose how you want to enter your 1099-R
  5. If your financial institution is a TurboTax 1099 partner, you can import your form.
  6. Select your institution from the list and enter your sign-in credentials, then select Get my form to start the import process
  7. If you prefer to upload your 1099-R or type in the info yourself, select Change how I enter my form. On the next screen, select your preferred entry method
  8. Continue answering the questions to enter or review the info from your 1099-R

See this help article for more information.

Contributions to a DAF operated by a qualified charity that weren't used to reduce your taxable income from your RMD can be claimed as charitable contributions. Enter the amount donated in Deductions and Credits, in the Donations to Charity section of TurboTax.

See this article for more information on claiming charitable donations in TurboTax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies