Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Currently living in UK due to a military move - how do I note the moving expenses (shipping pets, etc.)? How do I file when we lived half a year in US and half in UK?

Currently living in the UK and am having trouble with some of the questions being asked.

Home of record is Maryland, spouse became California resident due to employment at PCS location.  Moved halfway through the year to UK due to active duty military PCS.  Having trouble filing as both CA and MD residents along with getting tax deductions on moving costs, especially the cost of shipping the dogs overseas.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Currently living in UK due to a military move - how do I note the moving expenses (shipping pets, etc.)? How do I file when we lived half a year in US and half in UK?

Your wife and you should have the same home of record regardless of where either of you are. stationed.  You should both file as a MD resident and your wife file as a CA non-resident. to file correctly, file the California non-resident return first and then your MAryland resident return.

As far as moving expenses, I am not sure what your specific issues you are having but please read this IRS FAQ sheet regarding moving expenses, especially the section where it addresses Services or reimbursements provided by government. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies