Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dimasresendez
Returning Member

converting rental property to residence

My question are two questions, the first I had a rental property for 10 years that I had converted into a residence.  2023 the renters moved out in May and I started renovations that took a year to complete.  During the renovations I did not live in the house until everything was completed.  How will this effect my taxes?  Does having the house vacant during the renovations effect my taxes on either houses?

The second question is during this time I lived in my primary residence and lived there for over 20 years.  I lived at this residence until I was able to move into my new residence in June 2024.  Does the prop 121 rule still apply when I moved from one primary residence to the other in June 2024?  And can I now rent my old primary residence for 2 years to keep it under the prop 121 rule? Primary for 2 years out of 5 years and then sell it?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
M-MTax
Level 11

Idle Property

Continue to claim a deduction for depreciation on property used in your rental activity even if it is temporarily idle (not in use). For example, if you must make repairs after a tenant moves out, you still depreciate the rental property during the time it isn’t available for rent.

M-MTax
Level 11

If you rent out the old residence and then sell it while it's in rental use, you're fine. You can still claim the 121 exclusion if you're eligible....ownership and use tests for 2 out of 5. Don't move back into it after you've been renting it or you'll have nonqualified use when you sell.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies