Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wytas
Returning Member

Contractor with a ton of supply expenses. How detailed do I need to be when itemizing supplies expenses? Can everything be under one description? Ex: Materials & Tools

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Contractor with a ton of supply expenses. How detailed do I need to be when itemizing supplies expenses? Can everything be under one description? Ex: Materials & Tools

On the tax return all you need to enter is a total amount.   IF  you are ever audited the IRS will want to see all of the reciepts 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

On the tax return all you need to enter is a total amount.   IF  you are ever audited the IRS will want to see all of the reciepts 

Carl
Level 15

Can everything be under one description? Ex: Materials & Tools.

I'm sure you mean materials and supplies. Tools are not classified as materials or as supplies. They are classified as either tools or equipment, depending on the specific "tool" item you are dealing with.

EX: a backhoe is a tool. But it's a piece of equipment used on a recurring basis to produce income. Therefore that would be classified as a business asset. WHereas a wrench is also a tool. That would be classified as a supply expense to the business, and not as a supply expense for any one specific job that the business performed.

Materials and supplies can be tied to a specific job and do not need to be itemized on the tax return. But if ever audited and required to prove how you got that amount, you'll need to provide receipts to prove it. Remember the three golden rules when dealing with the IRS:

1) You are *GUILTY* until proven innocent.

2) The burden of proof is on the accused (that's you!) and not the accuser.

3) If it's not in writing in black and white on a physical piece of paper, then it flat out did not occur.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies