Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jhup

Confusion about Prior HSA Excess Contributions

I made excess contributions to an HSA in 2021 in the amount of $3400 and just paid the 6% excise tax in 2022 ($204).

Then in 2023, I got married. My wife *also* had her own HDHP+HSA for every month in 2023, and both of us made the maximum contributions to our individual HSAs hrough our employers ($3850). No excess.

In TurboTax Desktop, when entering the information for this, it all got pulled in from our W-2s correctly (category W in box 12), and I made sure to enter $0 for additional contributions. I also made sure to enter that we were both covered by our own self-only plans for all months of the year.

But when reviewing the final data and forms (Form 8889, and the TurboTax EasyStep as well), it is saying there are now $6800 in excess contributions instead of $3400, and it lists a $3400 excess for tax year 2023. It seems to be *copying* the excess from back in 2021 into tax year 2023, even though no excess contributions were made in 2023. Our collective through-the-employer contributions were 3850*2, which is under the maximum for two self-only HSA plans.

Is this a bug, or am I misunderstanding something related to both of us having our own self-only plans?

FWIW, I aim to "resolve" the excess situation in tax year 2024 by under-contributing by $3400 to what is now a *Family* plan for both us on a merged HDHP. But obviously if the $6800 is real I might need to do that twice...

Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

This is a result of a bug introduced with the February 8, 2024 update to 2023 TurboTax.  Intuit is aware of the problem.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/insurance-medical-benefits/turbotax-desk...

jhup

Wow, thank you!

I wondered. Kept digging around in form 8889 and thinking "this makes no sense". But I called TurboTax and the person on the phone didn't seem to know about this bug, even after spending ~20 minutes checking...

Thank you for saving me some time!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies