Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Company Vehicle taxation

I work for an auto dealership group as the IT administrator.  They supply me with a company vehicle as I frequently travel from location to location and carry the necessary IT equipment and tools for installation and what not in the back of my Jeep.  They consider that vehicle a "perk" I guess as I am allowed to take it home and use it for personal use as well.   They operate off of some type of dealership related tax guide to determine how much to add to my paycheck as the "value" of the vehicle based of the MSRP every month, I pay tax on that amount.  My paystubs read "demo in" $xxx.xx, the taxes are subtracted, then they "demo out" the same amount as they demo in.  In a nut shell, I am paying tax on "$xxx.xx".  Currently the X amount is $936.  So income tax on that amount comes to thousands of dollars a year.  My question is, should I be paying tax on a vehicle used primarily for my job, supplied by my company.  Prior to this job I worked with a company selling marketing to dealerships and had a company car, all wrapped with advertising and everything, that I used to travel to various dealerships in my area during work hours.  I was allowed to take this vehicle home and use it however I wanted.  I never paid any tax on this as if it were a "perk".  That company was a much larger, nationwide company.  Can I file something to eliminate the tax liability in my current situation?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Company Vehicle taxation

No, you don't have any remedies on your tax return itself if your employer chooses to add the value of the car as income. You may seek the advice of counsel familiar with employment issues however to prevent your employer from continuing this practice in the future. However it may be risky or costly on your part to do this.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Company Vehicle taxation

see this about PUCC. at most only the peronal use of company car should be taxable compensation. when I handled delerships under the laws in effect at tht time, employees subject to the fringe benfit rule were asked to supply in writing the personal use mileage for the year, that would be taxed and addd to w-2 wages, Buisnes use would not be included. Those that didn't got burned becuase the value of all mileage was added to w-2.

https://www.patriotsoftware.com/blog/payroll/personal-use-company-vehicle-car-tax-pucc/#:~:text=Driv...   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies