Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Clean Vehicle Credit Income Limits

I'm filing as a single person in 2023.  My income in 2023 is too high to receive the clean vehicle credit.  Over $150,000 for an individual filer.

I filed with the status Married, Filing Jointly in 2022.  Income in 2022 was above the $150,000 individual cap, but well below the married, filing jointly cap of $300,000.  I don't see a place to specify that my reported 2022 income was based on the married filing status.

Turbo Tax states I am not eligible for the credit.  It appears I am.  How do I adjust this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

If your filing status changes between the preceding year and the current year, you may claim the New Clean Vehicle Credit if your modified AGI is less than or equal to the threshold applicable to your filing status for in the preceding year or current year.

So you would qualify if you filed jointly in 2022 and your 2022 modified AGI is less than $300,000. 

Please read this IRS FAQ.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you!  Is there a missing step in TurboTax that allows me to make this designation for 2022?

Dear MinhT1,

Thank you for your response. Quite the relief!

Turbo Tax does not apply last year’s filing status to the AGI for last year. It applies the current year filing status. When this is done, 2022 AGI is incorrectly tagged as too high and I am not able to claim the credit. 

Do you know what adjustments I need to make with Turbo Tax or who I can contact?

thank you!!

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, TurboTax does not have the software support to make this adjustment.  

@shamilton5104 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you @RobertB4444 !  Good to know, but huge bummer!  Never thought I’d have a tax scenario that TT couldn’t address. 

Next up…try get a refund…

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies