Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Manders1

Clean Vehicle Credit form doesn't have my vehicle year number

I'm trying to complete the Clean Vehicle Credit and the years available only go down to 2017. We purchased a pre-owned 2016 VW e-Golf which is eligible for the credit. Can this be fixed so we can properly enter the year? I entered it manually on the actual form but I don't want to mess anything up.

Also, why is this form not available to file until February 21st?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Clean Vehicle Credit form doesn't have my vehicle year number

Many forms are not yet available due to major changes in the tax laws and related implementation rules for tax year 2023, including the clean vehicle credit. See this webpage for a complete list of TurboTax forms and their availability. You can revisit this issue when the new forms are ready and programmed to accept the 2023 credits.

Used cars have become eligible for the new tax credits, under the used clean vehicle credit. While this is a lesser amount than the $7,500 credit available for new qualified vehicles, it's still a new credit that can make purchasing previously-owned clean vehicles more affordable for consumers. The new tax credit for pre-owned clean vehicles lasts for tax years 2023 through 2032. Qualified buyers can get a credit equal to the lesser of $4,000 or 30% of the sales price.

Other stipulations apply:

1. Model year must be at least two years earlier than the year you acquired the vehicles
  2. Purchase price can't exceed $25,000
  3. The vehicle identification number (VIN) must be reported on your tax return
  4. The vehicles doesn’t need to be assembled in North America
  5. Must acquire from a dealer licensed to engage in sale of vehicles
  6. Can only be claimed on the first sale of the qualifying used vehicle after 12/31/2022 to a qualified buyer (this prevents continued sales of the used vehicle for purposes of claiming the credit)

Please see this TurboTax tips article and this IRS article for more information regarding the 2023 clean vehicle credits.

The list of vehicles and qualifying criteria is available at fueleconomy.gov. The 2016 VW e-Golf is listed, with additional details and requirements.

[Edited 01/24/24| 9:16 AM PST] 

@Manders1 (edited)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies