Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Claiming the Solar Tax Credit, should I change my deductions?

Hey guys. So we always get a tax refund at the end of each year by claiming no dependents even though we have a few. 

If we get a solar system installed and to qualify for the Solar Rebate should I change my filing status so I would owe money, in order to claim the credit? 

Thank you!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Tax liability is the amount of tax that you have to pay before that amount is reduced by credits and withholding.  In your case you would just get more of your withholding back. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

If you have a tax liability the credit is deducted from that amount. You don’t have to change anything. 

So does tax liability mean that one would owe money at the end of each year? Sorry taxes make my head spin when you get this in-depth. 

Every year we get money back on our taxes, so we owe zero at the end of each year because we have our jobs take out more than required just so we don’t owe. Having a to write a big check to the IRS is a scary thought. Thanks! 

Tax liability is the amount of tax that you have to pay before that amount is reduced by credits and withholding.  In your case you would just get more of your withholding back. 

Ok I think I got this correct. So on line 24 of my 1040, that number say $12,000 is my total tax liability? So if I got a solar setup of $12k or less I would get that money given back to me? 

Thanks 

The solar credit would be deducted from your tax liability on line 24. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies