Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Claiming Foreign Earned Income Exclusion and not choosing earlier residency termination date for tax benefits

Hi, 

I would be grateful if any of you expert please help me with my tax situation for 2022. 

I am Indian citizen. I moved out of U.S on 10th Sept 2022, and then joined a job in India in Sept. 2022. Now, since, I have been staying in U.S from January 1st to Sept. 10th in 2022 and also 2020-2021 (I was on J1 visa), I pass the substantial presence test, and therefore I am resident alien for tax purpose. As per the information in Publication 519, it seems that I can qualify for a residency termination on Sept. 10th, 2022. However, based on my understanding, this is not mandatory to terminate residency on  Sept. 10th, 2022, and I am not providing statement required to terminate residency (on Sept 10th) with my  2022 U.S tax return. I can see more tax benefits by not doing so and claiming as resident alien for the entire year. 

In my situation as given below it seems that I am qualified for foreign earned income exclusion (FEIE). The reason is I am residing in India from 10th Sept 2022 to until now. Therefore, I qualify in physical presence test for  FEIE on Sept 9th 2023. My main place of business since  10th Sept 2022 is India and before it was U.S. Also, my tax home since  10th Sept 2022 is India and I do not have a residency in U.S.  
I have three question:
1. Is my understanding that  terminating residency alien status on  Sept. 10th, 2022 as optional is correct?
2. Can I claim FEIE? My doubt for this is because my residence alien status in U.S by default ended in Dec. 31st 2022 and therefore I am not resident alien in 2023, although I am considering days from 2023 to meet the physical presence test for FEIE.
3. Is this more appropriate in my case to claim foreign tax credit instead of FEIE? I would prefer to take FEIE if that is not causing any tax complication. 
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Claiming Foreign Earned Income Exclusion and not choosing earlier residency termination date for tax benefits

@sabya33 ,

(a) to be able to claim Foreign Earned income exclusion, you need to meet the following:

1. Foreign tax home ;

2. Tax payer must be US person ( citizen/ GreenCard/ Resident for Tax purposes )

2. Pass the  Physical Presence  test  ( 330 days abroad in any consecutive 12 month  test period  )  where  the current tax year or part thereof  must either  ends  or starts.

3. The tax filing  cannot  be done till after the physical presence test has be satisfied..

The requirements are the same  for a taxpayer whom is approved to use the Bonafide Resident test  -- no 330  out of 365/366 days abroad test requirement.

Section 911 of Internal Revenue code  allows  exclusion only for qualified  individual   whom is defined as follows :

(1)Qualified individualThe term “qualified individual” means an individual whose tax home is in a foreign country and who is—

(A)
a citizen of the United States and establishes to the satisfaction of the Secretary that he has been a bona fide resident of a foreign country or countries for an uninterrupted period which includes an entire taxable year, or
(B)
a citizen or resident of the United States and who, during any period of 12 consecutive months, is present in a foreign country or countries during at least 330 full days in such period.

My interpretation  of this is that  your  qualified  person  (citizen/resident status ) & foreign tax home status both must satisfied during the 12 month test period.  In your case  you are trying to exclude  the October- December of 2022   where in you could be a resident  ( may be  ) for those three months  but your 12 month test period would have to be  Sep/October through the next 12 months  ( when you are not a resident for most of the period.  This because your J-1 visa  is generally assumed to be terminated  either because of lapse of  residency in the USA  and/or non-employment by the original  sponsor for your visa.   I say this because J visa is always associated with employment / training by an institution.

Bottom line is  I do not believe you can sustain a challenge by the IRS  for exclusion of  your earnings  post your departure from the USA.

It is simpler to file 2022 as a dual status ( thus excluding your Indian earnings from US taxes )  but of course this means that you have to use itemized deduction and not standard  deduction.

The other issue here is that you will have a hard time  showing closer connection to the USA in order to prove that you were still a resident  ( banking, housing, significant assets  , family connections etc etc. )

Beyond this I don't know how to help you .

pk

View solution in original post

9 Replies

@pk tagging you since you helped me with a very similar question last year. Many thanks. 

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@sabya33 , how can I help you ?  Please add to this thread or start a new thread.   OR are you talking about the PM that you sent  ( which I have not a chance to digest fully , yet),    If the latter , please can you give me till  tonight my time ( PDT ) and will answer that . 

pk

@pk  Please do not worry about the private message. Mainly I want to know if I can claim foreign earned income exclusion for the year 2022 based on physical presence test (or is it more appropriate to claim foreign tax credit). Please see the first post in this thread I mentioned my situation.

In short--- I moved out of U.S on 10th Sept 2022, and then living in India with job since then. Not claiming early termination of residency, and therefore resident alien for the entire tax year 2022. My main place of business since  10th Sept 2022 is India and before it was U.S. Also, my tax home since  10th Sept 2022 is India and I do not have a residency in U.S.  It seems to me that I can claim foreign earned income exclusion for the year 2022 based on physical presence test. Please let me know your analysis on this. Many thanks.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@sabya33 ,

(a) to be able to claim Foreign Earned income exclusion, you need to meet the following:

1. Foreign tax home ;

2. Tax payer must be US person ( citizen/ GreenCard/ Resident for Tax purposes )

2. Pass the  Physical Presence  test  ( 330 days abroad in any consecutive 12 month  test period  )  where  the current tax year or part thereof  must either  ends  or starts.

3. The tax filing  cannot  be done till after the physical presence test has be satisfied..

The requirements are the same  for a taxpayer whom is approved to use the Bonafide Resident test  -- no 330  out of 365/366 days abroad test requirement.

Section 911 of Internal Revenue code  allows  exclusion only for qualified  individual   whom is defined as follows :

(1)Qualified individualThe term “qualified individual” means an individual whose tax home is in a foreign country and who is—

(A)
a citizen of the United States and establishes to the satisfaction of the Secretary that he has been a bona fide resident of a foreign country or countries for an uninterrupted period which includes an entire taxable year, or
(B)
a citizen or resident of the United States and who, during any period of 12 consecutive months, is present in a foreign country or countries during at least 330 full days in such period.

My interpretation  of this is that  your  qualified  person  (citizen/resident status ) & foreign tax home status both must satisfied during the 12 month test period.  In your case  you are trying to exclude  the October- December of 2022   where in you could be a resident  ( may be  ) for those three months  but your 12 month test period would have to be  Sep/October through the next 12 months  ( when you are not a resident for most of the period.  This because your J-1 visa  is generally assumed to be terminated  either because of lapse of  residency in the USA  and/or non-employment by the original  sponsor for your visa.   I say this because J visa is always associated with employment / training by an institution.

Bottom line is  I do not believe you can sustain a challenge by the IRS  for exclusion of  your earnings  post your departure from the USA.

It is simpler to file 2022 as a dual status ( thus excluding your Indian earnings from US taxes )  but of course this means that you have to use itemized deduction and not standard  deduction.

The other issue here is that you will have a hard time  showing closer connection to the USA in order to prove that you were still a resident  ( banking, housing, significant assets  , family connections etc etc. )

Beyond this I don't know how to help you .

pk

@pk Yes, I am not resident alien in 2023 and I understood your logic that I should be both resident alien & have foreign tax home status during the 12 month test period which I fail.

I want to avoid filing as dual status alien. Can I file as a resident alien for the entire year and claim foreign tax credit (and not applying for foreign earned income exclusion) or do you see a problem in that route as well. Thanks.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@sabya33 , short answer -- of course , YES.   You can file as resident for the whole year as long as you include  your world income for all 12 months of the year.   That should help.

And claim foreign tax credit or deduction (  may be more tax beneficial  because the foreign tax credit would be limited by the ratio of foreign income  to world income).

Is there more I can do for you ?

Namaste ji

pk

@pk  One last question. How can I claim tax deduction instead of tax credit (I am getting only a fraction 1/4 as credit due to limitation), I am using standard deduction to file, can I still itemize tax deduction, can you please explain where to fill the information for tax deduction. Many thanks!

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@sabya33 , if you choose itemized deduction, then under State and local taxes , you include both the foreign and state withheld taxes --- although there is a limit of US$10,000 that is allowed.   You should try both the   standard deduction  plus  foreign tax credit  AND itemized deduction and see which gives you better  total tax.

You could also try out  using filing as Resident alien for the fist part of the year ( till you left for the current  home country ( India? ),  Non-Resident alien  for the rest of the year ( No US sourced income, not recognizing foreign  source income and/or foreign taxes paid/levied, itemized deduction for US  ( only state taxes withheld , med.  expenses  etc.   etc. )  . Choose the best one for you amongst these three  scenarios.

Is there more I can do for you ?

Namaste   (Sabyasachi ? )

pk

@pk  Thank you so much for all the help you provided, I would be in trouble without your inputs. Namaste 🙂 and dhanyabad. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies