Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

filipn

Claiming depreciation on a residential solar system

Hello all,

I had solar panels installed on my residence during the year. I have been in touch with an accounting firm that in addition to the federal tax credit, I also can claim depreciation on the system even though they are not being used for business. What they are pointing at is in IRS publication 946 ("How To Depreciate Property"), the publication allows for depreciation of "income-producing property". They say that since my panels produce excess energy and that the income paid to me by the utility provider should be clearly classified as income under the IRS guidance, logically the panels then qualify as "income-producing" even though they are not connected to a business. 

I have read in other places that residential panels would not be qualified for depreciation and am curious to hear whether there are any opinions on the matter from the community. 

Thank you 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Claiming depreciation on a residential solar system

No, nothing on a personal residence that isn't used for a business can be depreciated.

If you were to go into a business for providing electricity using your solar panels then you could deduct depreciation as well as any relevant expenses.  As the current IRS regulations are set up, though, the payments that you receive are entered as "other income" on the 1040 and are not subject to self-employment tax.

This is an article about a lot of the aspects of residential solar panels and their taxable attributes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies