Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shermath
Returning Member

Choose to forfeit Dependent Care FSA deduction?

I put $5,000 into a dependent care FSA during 2021 (and had it reimbursed). The changes that were made to the Dependent Care Tax Credit partway into 2021 make the credit better for my family. Can I elect to pay taxes on the $5,000 I had deducted, and take the credit based on the full $8,000 (instead of $3,000)?

Note: I had one child in daycare, and expenses exceeded $8,000.00.

Thank you!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JillS56
Expert Alumni

Choose to forfeit Dependent Care FSA deduction?

If the dependent care funds are in box 10 of your W-2 or a carryover from last year, you cannot forfeit the money to get the dependent care.   If the dependent care is more than the amount of your FSA then you can claim dependent care on the amount over the amount of FSA funds.   So the $5,000 will be applied and then you could possibly get 50% of the balance of $3,000.   

My recommendation is to enter the dependent care information and see what TurboTax calculates for you.    On the Form 2441 Line 12 is going to be the amount of FSA funds in Box 10 of your W-2 for 2021 (if blank, then there were none), Line 13 will be the amount you carried over from 2020, and then Line 14 is the amount that will be carried over to 2021, which it doe not sound like there will be anything on that Line.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies