turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

csa062080

Child /Dependent Care Credit clarification needed - what did I spend is this the total of spend in 2021 and next section is breakout of each care center I paid in 2021?

Want to be clear on what entry is needed I.e total spend is $500 and care provider:
YMCA $ 250
Before school care $250.
Also can you include summer camps?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Child /Dependent Care Credit clarification needed - what did I spend is this the total of spend in 2021 and next section is breakout of each care center I paid in 2021?

The Child/Dependent Care Credit is provided for taxpayers who have to pay for care in order to work or look for work.  So, nursery school, pre-school, pre-kindergarten, and day camps do qualify, but actual school fees for grade school or overnight camps do not.

The provider has to be a qualified caregiver, as well, in order for the cost to be eligible and that is why you have to break out the amounts and the caregivers.  You will need the Form 1099 provided to you by your provider to enter the information into TurboTax.

Follow these steps to get to the Child and Dependent Care Credit in TurboTax.

1. Open or continue your return
  2. In the search field, search for child care credit
  3. Select the Jump to link to be taken to the section

Please see What is the Child and Dependent Care Credit? for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
csa062080

Thank you for your reply. But need further clarification. I understand what classifies for the credit. When I am using Turbo tax to enter is my question. The first question ask what is your spend. So is this first screen the total spend for the year? Then I get  prompted for the providers, is this the break out of the total spend? Just wanted to make sure I am not double dipping and entering it twice. @AliciaP1 

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

For the question How much did you pay for c's care in 2021?  This should represent the total amount paid. 

This would include:
 - Babysitters
 - Daycare facilities
 - After-school programs
 - Nursery schools
 - Preschools
 - Day camps
 - Certain household services

Do not include:
 - Medical Expenses
 - Tuition costs for kindergarten
 - Private schools (except preschools)
 - Overnight camps
 - Summer schools
 - Tutoring programs
 - Child support payments
 - Expenses incurred in 2020
 - 2022 Expenses you prepaid in 2021
 - Expenses you paid in 2022 even if they were for 2021

For the question: Let's get some info about your care provider you will enter the individual providers of the services.  This is not double-dipping, but rather providing confirmation of the expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies