Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jor2

charitable deduction

I have almost completed my taxes, I will be using standard deduction, and then I add in my charitable contributions (above $300) at the end and the federal refund does not change.  There is supposed to be an above the line reduction in income of $300, so why does the number in the refund box not change when I add in the charitable contribution amount?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

charitable deduction

You are correct, the $300 is an above-the-line credit.  Without seeing your return it is hard to tell why your refund did not change.  Is the correct amount (above $300) on Form 1040 line B?  If it is not then please try the following:

1. Delete the $300 in the error check.
  2. Then go back to Deductions & Credits and enter the contribution there, in the Donations to Charity topic.
  3. Then click Done with Donations and proceed through the screens until you get to the screen that tells you that TurboTax has added in the contribution.

The contribution will be back on Form 1040 line 10b.  

Previously, charitable contributions could only be deducted if taxpayers itemized their deductions.

However, taxpayers who don't itemize deductions may take a charitable deduction of up to $300 for cash contributions made in 2020 to qualifying organizations. For the purposes of this deduction, qualifying organizations are those that are religious, charitable, educational, scientific or literary in purpose. The law changed in this area due to the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act.  The itemize / standard deduction issue can cause the software to have this type of issue.  Please let us know if this solution works for you.

charitable deduction

this did not work....charity deductions are on Schedule A --which is info only as standard ded is better

Where can I go to get the $300 on 1040 10 b.  

Again, suggestion about using easy step Donations to Charity, etc  did not work

charitable deduction

Found it!  it's on the 1040/1040SR form.  the adjustment for the $300 for non itemizer is on the form and it worked :). 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies