Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kamperco

Charitable contributions with standard deduction

Below says 2021 Joint filing get $600 charitable contribution. 2021 Program only lets me type in $300.

Under the CARES Act, this year close to 90% of taxpayers who claim the standard deduction and weren’t able to deduct charitable contributions following tax reform may now be able to reduce their taxable income by up to $300 in cash contributions. In 2020 you can deduct up to $300 per tax return of qualified cash contributions. For 2021, this amount is up to $600 per tax return for those filing married filing jointly and $300 for other filing statuses. These contributions can be in the form of cash, check, or credit card. Keep in mind that you will need proper documentation like receipts or donation letters. If you gave more than $250 to one organization, you will need a letter of acknowledgment from the charity.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

wait for updates. what you have is mostly the 2020 tax program with some minor changes reflecting 2021 tax laws. there will be numerous updates for 2021 between now and when e-filing opens.   Turbotax must wait for IRS approval of forms so if your return requires one of them you won't be able to e-file until Turbotax updates for the approved IRS form.

Is there any update on this? As far as I can tell, it's still only permitting a $300 deduction.

Thanks.

jayjay3ff
Returning Member

I used the standard deduction for my 2020 tax return and received the additional $300  for charitable cash contributions.  I am eligible for the $300 charitable cash contribution deduction again in 2021 as I am using the standard deduction.  But TurboTax is not giving me this deduction for the 2021 tax year.  Can I enter it myself? and if so, where?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

This feature of the tax code is again available for the 2021 tax season.

Federal 1040 line 12b Charitable Cash Contributions under CARES Act can be entered or removed at either: 

• Federal Taxes / Deductions & Credits / Your tax breaks / Donations to Charity in 2021 or
  • at the screen Charitable Cash Contributions under CARES Act immediately following Based on what you just told us, the Standard Deduction is best for you. 

But the second entry appears to produce better results.  

• Remove the entries at Donations to Charity in 2021 by deleting the entries.
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Wrap up tax breaks.
  • You will see the screen Based on what you just told us, the Standard Deduction is best for you.
  • At the screen titled Charitable Cash Contributions under the CARES Act, make sure that the box contains the amount of the deduction for which you qualify.
  • At Other Tax Situations, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Let’s keep going.
  • Continue through Review

Go to Tax Tools / Tools / View Tax Summary / Preview my 1040 to view line 12b for the charitable deduction.

@jayjay3ff

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jayjay3ff
Returning Member

Hi James,

I did as you suggested and deleted all the Donations to Charity that I entered for 2021.  When I scrolled down to the bottom of the page, it did not say "Wrap up tax breaks."  It said "Done with deductions" so I clicked on that.  I did see the screen about the Standard Deduction being best for me.  But there was NO screen titled "Charitable Cash Contributions under the CARES Act....  So I could not enter the $300 anywhere.   (I have the Premier version of TurboTax).  So something is amiss.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Is there an entry already posted in the 1040 and/or the 1040 worksheet for line 12b?

You are in the TurboTax Desktop Premier version.  Are you able to go to Forms and view whether there is an entry already posted there on that line?

In the Desktop version, you are able to remove that entry if you are not able to remove it through the Step-by-Step process.

In TurboTax Desktop version, follow these steps to enter the Federal 1040 line 12b Charitable Cash Contributions under CARES Act

• Go to Forms mode and delete the incorrect entry for line 12b on the 1040 Worksheet.
  • Return to Step-by-Step and click on Federal Taxes / Deductions & Credits / I'll Choose what I work on but do not enter the charitable donation.
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Done with Deductions.
  • You will see the screen The Standard Deduction is right for you!  Click Continue.
  • At the screen titled Getting a tax break for donating cash to charity, make sure that the box contains the amount of the deduction for which you qualify.  Click Continue.
  • At Other Tax Situations, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Done with Other.
  • Continue through Federal Review and Smart Check

Go to Forms to view the Federal 1040 line 12b for the charitable deduction.

@jayjay3ff

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jayjay3ff
Returning Member

Yes, I was ultimately able to view line 12b on the 1040 and the $300 deduction is listed, so thanks for that suggestion.

I think there should be an explanation about the total amount shown and what is/is not included on the 2020 and 2021 Deduction and Credits screen in TurboTax Premier.  Hopefully TurboTax can fix this.

Thanks for your help. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies