Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Charitable Contribution Carryover Problem in MN State Taxes

I have carryover charitable contributions from 2021.  It is entered properly when I review my federal tax return. However, TurboTax ignores the carryover for my state of Minnesota tax return. How do I get this to work in my Minnesota State tax return? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

So, are you saying that you were not able to deduct all of your charitable contributions on your 2021 tax return and you have a rollover to 2022.  The rollover appeared for Federal but not State of MN?

If you have contributions you could not deduct in an earlier year because they exceeded the limits on the amount you could deduct, you generally have five years to use those contributions. The same limits apply this year to your carryover amounts as applied to those amounts in the earlier year. After applying those limits, enter the amount of your carryover you are allowed to deduct this year. See IRS Publication 526

This screenshot shows Line 17 which is where the carryover should be claimed for MN.

Perhaps your computer is caught in a loop.  Lets clear your history, cookies and cache'.  Clear Cookies, History Cache'.  Reboot your computer and continue return.  Hopefully, this will allow the Contributions to post.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

No. I’m saying that I am able to deduct the rollover amount on my federal taxes only. For some reason the MN state taxes ignores the rollover. This results in a much higher state tax that I should be paying. Nothing shows up on line 17 of the state tax form M1SA.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

The amount on Minnesota Form M1SA, Line 17 for Charitable Contribution Carryover should transfer from your 2021 Minnesota return or from Federal Schedule A, Line 13. 

If you're using TurboTax Desktop, you can enter the amount directly on the M1SA form in FORMS mode.

@stevewiza 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I didn't use TurboTax in 2021. And it didn't transfer from the federal return. I added it manually in the Forms mode and it seem to work. Seems a little hokey but it worked. Thanks so much for your help. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies