Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Charitable Carryover ?

I entered a bunch of charitable donations and itemized my deductions. In the end, the system put 0 down for both monies and items for charity - Im assuming thats because the deductions would have no influence on the result (?). I see all my donated items on form 8283's, but don't see any of the monies listed on any doc. Will these all be carried forward into 2022 and how do I know what that final number is as its not listed anywhere anymore.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Charitable Carryover ?

What are the exact amounts on Schedule A lines 11, 12, 14, and 17?

What are the exact amounts on Form 1040 lines 11 and 12?

What is your filing status?

What year's tax return are you working on? You asked about carrying forward "into 2022." Are you working on your 2021 tax return?

Are you using TurboTax Online or the CD/Download TurboTax software? If you are using the CD/Download software, what edition are you using (Basic, Deluxe, etc.)?

Contributions that you do not deduct in the year that you made them will not carry over to the next year unless your deduction was limited based on a percentage of AGI.

Charitable Carryover ?

A - 0, 0, blank, 41288 (note the 38k in donations is not showing anywhere)
1040 - 2214,408
Married joint 
TT online
AGI is negative 
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Charitable Carryover ?

Since your AGI is negative you cannot deduct any charitable donations. All of the donations will carry over to the following year.

You said you are working on your 2021 tax return, and that you are using TurboTax Online. That's not possible. TurboTax Online is only for the current tax year, which is now 2022. To prepare a 2021 tax return now, you have to use the CD/Download TurboTax software. Please double-check what you are doing.

Charitable Carryover ?

2022 - you are correct

Thx for the info. I went through a 1040x process so I could see my charitable totals since nothing is available in the final docs. I now have that but am hoping 2023 TT will bring it forward - I have it just in case and will use it on the carryover line.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies