Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Changing filing status each year - Single/Head of household and Married Jointly

Hello,

Are you able to change your filing status every year? For example rotate between filing single/ head of household and the other year filing Married jointly. 

My co parent and I rotate claiming the Child Tax Credit in alternate years but just wanted to know if filing married jointly the off year will affect anything. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
SwapnaM
Employee Tax Expert

Someone who was legally married as of December 31, 2023 could file as married jointly, married separately, or head of household. If you are legally married(not legally divorced ), then you cannot use the Single status.

So you have to use the Married filing separately status in the year that you are not claiming the dependent. The next year you can use Head of Household & claim the dependent.

@efeliciano Thanks for the question

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@efeliciano , while agreeing with the expert @SwapnaM , I am  uncertain as to what you are trying to do.

First either you are married or you are not.  If married , and you spouse agrees , then you generally  file  MFJ  ( Married Filing Joint )  and getting generally the best tax outcome. 

If you are considered unmarried  ( for tax purposes ), and have qualifying dependent(s) then Head of Household ( HoH ) is the next  best  taxwise.

So I don't understand the  facts and circumstances that would legally allow you to switch between  MFJ and HoH.   You could between  MFS and HoH  ( but why would you ).

pk

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies