Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cellular Device on an installment plan

Hello,

I'm a gig worker and I bought a new device and new service with a different carrier so all of the business related work is done on that device/service. So it's 100% business.

What I am unsure about is how to itemize the cost of the phone itself which is being paid via an installment plan.

Do I deduct the total cost of the phone for the 2022 tax year even though I'm still making payments or do I only deduct what I've paid so far?

Also, in the communication expenses section do I put my cell phone service there as well as the phone and related accessories (case, screen protector, etc) there or do I leave the service costs there and put the hardware and what not under an another category?

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

The cellphone itself will be entered as an Asset on your Schedule C Business Income and Expenses.  You would have some choices to make as you go through that section as far as to determine whether you want to depreciate it over time or write off the full cost in the first year.  Either way, the full cost of the phone will be entered in this section.  In the future though, be sure you are not deducting your monthly payments for the phone since the full cost has already been handled.

You would enter your cell phone service expenses in the communication expense section.  You could include those accessories there as well, or put those in supplies or miscellaneous expenses.  It all adds up to the same amount regardless of which section is used.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

The cellphone itself will be entered as an Asset on your Schedule C Business Income and Expenses.  You would have some choices to make as you go through that section as far as to determine whether you want to depreciate it over time or write off the full cost in the first year.  Either way, the full cost of the phone will be entered in this section.  In the future though, be sure you are not deducting your monthly payments for the phone since the full cost has already been handled.

You would enter your cell phone service expenses in the communication expense section.  You could include those accessories there as well, or put those in supplies or miscellaneous expenses.  It all adds up to the same amount regardless of which section is used.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I think I'll just go with deducting the full cost and get it out of the way. I actually maintain records of my phone bill less the monthly cost of the phone itself so that works out well since the values are already separated each month when I'm doing my bookkeeping.

You've helped me out with the final hurdle I was having. Now I can get this done and proceed with filing. Thank you so much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies