Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cell phone for LLC

For business expenses where do i enter the cost for a cell phone paid in full. (the actual phone not the monthly bills)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Cell phone for LLC

You can depreciate the phone. Include it as an asset.

Cellphone depreciation

The Small Business Jobs Act of 2010 changes the way you calculate cellphone depreciation, according to the Schneider Downs accounting firm. Under the old rules, if you used your cellphone less than 50 percent of the time for business, you could only depreciate it on a straight-line 10-year depreciation schedule. Now, however, the law allows you to write off depreciation—the loss in value from wear and tear—over a seven-year schedule, in addition to making it easier to claim bonus depreciation.

Cell phone

Cell phone for LLC

I typically get a new phone every 6 months to a year. Is there any way to treat it as a one time expense?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Cell phone for LLC

This is precisely what the IRS is trying to avoid. A cell phone is not a disposable item, like pens or paper. It is an asset.

Cell phone for LLC

Turbotax gave me this option for the phone

>>I'll deduct the full value of the item this year. (Take the Section 179 deduction)

Thoughts?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Cell phone for LLC

Under the rules of a Section 179 deduction, you must retain business use of the asset until the end of its useful life. If that isn't possible, you must pay back part of the deduction as a Section 179 recapture.

Instead of depreciating an asset over a multi-year period, you might be able to deduct its entire cost during the first year of use as a Section 179 deduction.

To qualify for a Section 179 deduction, the asset must be:

• Tangible (you're able to touch it, which excludes intangible assets like patents or copyrights)
  • Purchased (not leased) for business use
  • Used more than 50% in your business
  • Placed in service (purchased, acquired, or converted to business use) during the current tax year
  • Acquired from a non-related party

Also consider Bonus Depreciation here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Cell phone for LLC

Thanks seems the initial response I received didn’t mention this

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies