Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MG26
Level 3

Catch up depreciation Rental Section 179

When I added the Rental Property asset, It talked about accepting the figures if I didn't have section 179. I did add a computer as an asset with Section 179 back in 2019 so I don't know if this should be considered or entered somewhere. I'm reading that it's mention on form 4562 line 6?

Also, I don't see that it deducted the prior year(s) depreciation from income. I expected income to be changed to zero and having to carry over to next year(s). I do see it took one year off. I understand to file the Form 3115.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

No, you do not need to add the computer back to your rental as an asset since you used Section 179.  You must keep track of it on paper or tax return files should you ever sell it.  At the time of a sale it would be a taxable event.  If at some point you junk it then that should be noted with details and kept with your tax file.  A sale no matter the amount will be a taxable gain because you no longer have a cost basis and depreciation would need to be recaptured up to the amount of the sales price.

Yes, you have made the correct entries in your return.  Be sure to mail Form 3115 with your tax return to the address provided by TurboTax. 

@MG26 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MG26
Level 3

So I put the large prior years depreciation amount in the misc expenses and ended up with a negative income value. I guess that's correct.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

No, you do not need to add the computer back to your rental as an asset since you used Section 179.  You must keep track of it on paper or tax return files should you ever sell it.  At the time of a sale it would be a taxable event.  If at some point you junk it then that should be noted with details and kept with your tax file.  A sale no matter the amount will be a taxable gain because you no longer have a cost basis and depreciation would need to be recaptured up to the amount of the sales price.

Yes, you have made the correct entries in your return.  Be sure to mail Form 3115 with your tax return to the address provided by TurboTax. 

@MG26 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies