Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HateYou
Returning Member

Car used for self-employed business and personal use

I was self-employed and left my job in 2020. I used the same car for business and personal use. When reviewing my information I realized that I did not check the box that says I stopped using the car in 2020. When I did that the amount I owe jumped up by $270!!!! This is unacceptable. I still own the car. Do I still need to check that box that says I stopped using the car???

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Yes. You must say that you stopped using the car. If had taken any accelerated depreciation and then stopped using the car for business before the end of its useful life, then you have to recapture the outstanding depreciation.

HateYou
Returning Member

I have absolutely No Clue what that means. All I do is answer the questions asked in the program. If it doesn't ask me that it's not getting entered.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Since you still own the car, are you using it for business in 2021? If so, you did not stop using the car. You were just sidelined with COVID like everyone else. If you really did stop using the car, then mark that you stopped using the car.

If you have always taken just the normal expenses each year, you are good. If you ever wrote off part of the car, then you have homework to do as you may need to do a recapture of what you wrote off.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies