Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

texastech

Capital loss carryover from 2021

I have a Capital loss carryover from 2021 of  $1001. I would like to use it in my 2022 taxes. I entered it on the relevant page in Turbotax. It then asked for Line 4 from Form 6251(AMT Income) which I don't have. I used a CPA last year and he never included Form 6251 in my tax package. How do I know if I am utilizing my capital loss this year or not? I tried making the capital loss carryover number to be zero and it showed no difference in my tax due for 2022. Thanks for your assistance in advance.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

The capital loss will show up on your tax return on Schedule D, and then on Form 1040, Line 7.  Use the link below to make sure you have entered your loss correctly.  The AMT loss will be the same as the regular loss if your return copy from last year does not have a statement or worksheet showing a difference.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

unless you are in AMT the number you use doesn't affect your taxes so zero would be ok. 

but if you're prefer to be correct then use the worksheet in schedule D instructions page D-11 however rather than for line 1 using line 15 from your 1040 you must use adjusted gross income line 11 of your 2021 1040

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040sd.pdf 

texastech

Thanks Diane. I followed the steps you showed and am still unsure whether my capital gains for 2022 are being offset by capital losses from 2021. As a sensitivity I made the -$1001. to be $0 and it still didn't change my tax due. That's what I found odd.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies