Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

capital gains on real estate

I helped my son purchase a property. Instead of paying off the loan to me, he transferred the house back to me through a quit claim deed. I subsequently sold the property to recover my money and made some profit. I did not hold the property for one year before selling it. While paying tax on the profit, do I pay capital gains or the date of purchase will be when my son bought it? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

When you receive a home via quitclaim, the previous owner's cost basis (his original cost plus the cost of any capital improvements he may have made to the property) becomes your cost basis.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

@atulagarwal_92128 

Your cost basis is more complicated than simply a carryover basis from your son since there was consideration for the transfer (i.e., the payoff of the loan). 

Also, a quitclaim deed is no different than most other forms of deeds that can effect full transfer of title to real estate, such as a warranty deed, for federal income tax purposes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies