Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can you write off debt paid on energy efficient improvements? I still have a loan out for our HVAC and have made payments on the new improvement that was installed in 22’

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Can you write off debt paid on energy efficient improvements? I still have a loan out for our HVAC and have made payments on the new improvement that was installed in 22’

No, you do not write off the payments you make for your energy-efficient improvements.  

If the improvement qualifies for the energy credit, you can claim the credit based on the total cost of the improvement, not just the amount that was paid in the current tax year to satisfy the debt.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So if you still owe on the debt, you can’t write off the debt for the credit? It has to be paid in full in order to receive the credit? 

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

No, when you took out the loan, the amount was considered to be paid in full.  You can claim the credit on the total cost of the improvement for the year that the improvement was installed and the year you got the loan to pay the cost.  

If it was installed in 2022 and qualifies for the credit, claim the credit on your 2022 tax return based on the total cost of the improvement, not just based on the amount that you have paid back so far.

Then, in later years while you are still paying back that cost over time, you will not enter anything on your tax return because you already claimed the credit based on the total cost.  

@osborne132 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies