Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I write off tools and clothes purchased for my work (I am an employed carpenter

I am not self employed but still need to provide my own tools
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Can I write off tools and clothes purchased for my work (I am an employed carpenter

Yes, if you can use itemized deductions then you can utilize your job related expenses.  

You can go directly to enter the expenses using these steps in TurboTax (online or desktop).

1. Use the Search box in the upper right

2. Search for job expenses, employee

3. Jump to job expenses, employee

4. Continue to enter your expenses (keep going until you reach the screen to enter the expenses)

5. Click the images attached for assistance.

Job related expenses are used as part of itemized deductions and allowed once the amount exceeds 2% of adjusted gross income (AGI) under miscellaneous expenses.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you can use itemized deductions then you can utilize your job related expenses.  

You can go directly to enter the expenses using these steps in TurboTax (online or desktop).

1. Use the Search box in the upper right

2. Search for job expenses, employee

3. Jump to job expenses, employee

4. Continue to enter your expenses (keep going until you reach the screen to enter the expenses)

5. Click the images attached for assistance.

Job related expenses are used as part of itemized deductions and allowed once the amount exceeds 2% of adjusted gross income (AGI) under miscellaneous expenses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies