johnscarf

Can I use travel expenses from the US to Peru as part of the sale expense/cost for the sale of a vacation home in Peru?

My wife and I sold a vacation home in Peru. We needed to travel to Peru for the sale and signing of documents. Can these costs be counted as a sales expense? 

Vanessa

No, unless this property was a rental property, travel expenses would not be deductible.

If this was just a vacation home, the only way the expenses could potentially be deducted depending on several more factors would be as an investment expense.  However, under the new tax laws investment expenses are no longer deductible so your travel expenses to sell your vacation home are not deductible. 

If it was a rental property you would enter the travel in the rental expense section. 

Vanessa