Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i use textbooks i rented from multiple places as deductions towards my 2019 taxes

I use my college bookstore, chegg, and amazon to rent and buy textbooks for my classes in college am I able to use textbook rentals as a tax deduction? or just purchases.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

Can i use textbooks i rented from multiple places as deductions towards my 2019 taxes

Per IRS Publication 970 page 5:

Qualified education expenses.For purposes of tax-free degree candidate.scholarships and fellowships, these are expenses for Scholarships, Fellowships, Grants, and Tuition Reductions:

- Tuition and fees required to enroll at or attend

- Course-related expenses, such as fees, books, supplements discussed above. supplies, and equipment that are required for the courses at the eligible educational institution. These items must be required of all students in your course of instruction

Note in the above it does not delineate or specifically state that you have to actually buy or purchase anything. If you rented books or even purchased them outright, then it's a "course related expense" if it was a requirement for you to have it in order to complete the course.

If you were a post-graduate in 2019 then your books aren't a deductible expense anyway. If you were an undergraduate, then more than likely it's your parents that will not only claim you as their dependent, but will also claim any and all education credits you may qualify for.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies