Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I try TurboTax Deluxe but then downgrade back to Basic if I don't qualify for any of the deductions or if my itemized deductions are less than the standard deduction?

I understand that I can start over altogether. Is that the only option?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Can I try TurboTax Deluxe but then downgrade back to Basic if I don't qualify for any of the deductions or if my itemized deductions are less than the standard deduction?

Yes, clear and start over is the only way to be certian that incorrect information does not linger. Some entries trigger other things that are not always noticable.

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

The other option is to downgrade to the Free Edition. Then you could upgrade back to Deluxe as you go. 

But as leeloo suggested, some things may get wiped, or linger going from one to the other.

Can you add up your deductions and compare to your standard deduction for your filing status instead? @Jordan40 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Can you add up your deductions and compare to your standard deduction for your filing status instead? @Jordan40 

Theoretically I could, but wouldn't that to a certain extent defeat the purpose of using TurboTax? 

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

It would help determine whether it's worth the upgrade/ start over hassle, but you do make a good point.  

But TurboTax - as you have already determined - does not undo versions.

@Jordan40 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies