xebo33

Can I take the standard deduction for Federal and then itemize my California Return?

I have always itemized. With the new federal tax laws, the standard federal deduction is best. However, TT automatically took the standard deduction on my California return also. I am paying a lot more California tax using the standard deduction.

I can't figure out how to have Turbo tax itemize my California Return. Has anybody out there been able to make that happen? Help!

hbl3973

Yes, indeed.  That's exactly what I did this year.  Be sure to go through the CA itemized deductions list as well as those on the Federal section.  Also, do put in the true amounts for state & local tax, property tax, DMV license fee, etc. and do not clip them off at $10K yourself.