Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dualsport

Can I take the Mileage Deduction if I work at different studios other then my home studio.

I work for a major film studio in the video department some weeks I commute every day, some weeks Im not there at all and work on shows at other studios or locations around town.  Can I take the mileage deduction for the days I drive somewhere other then my home studio?  Also when I drive to other studios I get paid directly from the show Im on.
Thanks
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DS30

Can I take the Mileage Deduction if I work at different studios other then my home studio.

It depends.

Yes - If you are an employee and this is a temporary work location.   If you have one or more regular work locations away from your home and you commute to a temporary work location in the same trade or business, you can deduct the expenses of the daily round-trip transportation between your home and the temporary location, regardless of distance.

Please refer to this IRS link for more information about Transportation Costs

Business miles can be deductible if you are an employee (as a job-related expense, if you itemize and are subject to a 2% AGI limitation). Please note that you will only be able to take a job-related deduction for mileage as an employee for unreimbursed business miles.

You would enter your unreimbursed employment expenses under Federal Taxes>Deductions and Credits> I'll choose what I work on (or jump to full list)> scroll down to Employment Expenses> Job-related expenses (start/update). Use the TurboTax guide to help you enter these expense.

• Say "yes" to question "Did you have any of these expenses in 2015 for your W-2 income?" under the screen titled "Employment Expenses Related to a W-2".
  • after about 6 to 10 question screens, you will get to a screen titled "Job-Related Expenses" you can put this information here. List as "additional unreimbursed business miles"

For someone who is considered self-employed:

If you are self-employed contractor, you can claim a deduction for miles driven to a job assignment. The starting point must be a home, an office or a job location, and the destination must also be a home, an office or a job location. You cannot deduct miles driven for other reasons even if you drove the same vehicle. The IRS requires you to take relatively straight routes from one location to another

To deduct business miles for self-employed in TurboTax Online or Desktop, please follow these steps:

1. Once you are in your tax return, click on the “Business"” tab
  2. Next click on “I’ll choose what I work on” (jump to full list)
  3. Scroll down the screen until to come to the section “Business Income and Expense”
  4. Choose “Profit or Loss from Business ” and select start/revisit/update.
  5. If your business is already listed, choose to "edit"
  6. You will eventually get to a screen titled "Your () Business"
  7. Scroll down to Business Expenses and select "Business Vehicle Expense".

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies