Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I take federal moving deduction since in 2016 I took separation plan offered by employer and moved 900 miles to be self-employed operating a farm I bought?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I take federal moving deduction since in 2016 I took separation plan offered by employer and moved 900 miles to be self-employed operating a farm I bought?

Yes, you have met the distance test, now you will need to meet the time test to qualify to claim your moving expenses.

You must work full-time for a minimum of 39 weeks during the initial 12-month period that starts on the day you arrive in the new location.

You can still satisfy this requirement when the 39 weeks are not consecutive and even when it's for multiple employers. The IRS does not specify the number of days or hours you must work each week to be a full-time employee; instead, it defers to your industry’s commonly-accepted standard.

See IRS Moving Expense Deductions

To enter your moving expenses:

• Type in moving expenses the search box, top right of your screen, then click the magnifying glass

• Click the jump to moving expenses link in the search results

• Follow to prompts and online instructions

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, you have met the distance test, now you will need to meet the time test to qualify to claim your moving expenses.

You must work full-time for a minimum of 39 weeks during the initial 12-month period that starts on the day you arrive in the new location.

You can still satisfy this requirement when the 39 weeks are not consecutive and even when it's for multiple employers. The IRS does not specify the number of days or hours you must work each week to be a full-time employee; instead, it defers to your industry’s commonly-accepted standard.

See IRS Moving Expense Deductions

To enter your moving expenses:

• Type in moving expenses the search box, top right of your screen, then click the magnifying glass

• Click the jump to moving expenses link in the search results

• Follow to prompts and online instructions

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies