Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Can I still contribute to my HSA to lower my taxable income?

I have not been contributing to my HSA throughout the 2017 tax year.  Only employer contributions (less than $500) have gone into my HSA.  I want to lower my income to by ~$2000 in order to fall into a lower tax bracket.  Can I put additional money into my HSA in 2018 to lower my income into a lower tax bracket?

1 Reply
Intuit Alumni

Can I still contribute to my HSA to lower my taxable income?

Yes, you can make additional contributions to your Health Savings Account (HSA) using your own funds up to the due date of your tax return.

Doing so will allow you to deduct the amount of your contribution as long as you do not exceed your contribution limit for the year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies