Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sciguy24

Can I get education credit as a personal interest student eventually leading to a degree?

I already have a AA degree and BS degree, but I'm going for a second degree in a different field. I'm taking prerequisite classes as a "personal interest" student because the community college I'm going to won't let me enroll in a degree program since I already have a AA degree. So technically I'm not enrolled in a degree program but I am taking the courses to eventually get a degree.  Does the fact I'm not in a degree program prevent me from 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Can I get education credit as a personal interest student eventually leading to a degree?

Yes, your description sounds like you meet the requirements listed by the IRS. 

Remember that you can/could have only claim the American Opportunity Tax Credit four times per student, which includes times someone else (like parents) claimed the credit based on your expenses. 

According to the IRS:

“Candidate for a degree. 

You are a candidate for a degree if you: 

1. Attend a primary or secondary school or are pursuing a degree at a college or university; or 

2. Attend an educational institution that: a. Provides a program that is acceptable for full credit toward a bachelor's or higher degree, or offers a program of training to prepare students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation; and b. Is authorized under federal or state law to provide such a program and is accredited by a nationally recognized accreditation agency.”

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Since you already have a BS, you are not eligible for the more generous American Opportunity Credit (AOC or AOTC).  Your situation is eligible for the Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC).  The LLC is 20% of tuition, up to $10K, and is non refundable. That is, it can only be used to reduce an actual tax liability. Books and computers are not eligible. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies