Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

brookie10

Can I deduct up-front mortgage insurance premiums?

Can I claim all the upfront fees or just 1/7 of the fees every year for 6 years after this year?
jjinco33

IRS Publication 936 (2014) Example:
Ryan purchased a home in May of 2013 and financed the home with a 15-year mortgage. Ryan also prepaid all of the $9,240 in private mortgage insurance required at the time of closing in May. Since the $9,240 in private mortgage insurance is allocable to periods after 2013, Ryan must allocate the $9,240 over the shorter of the life of the mortgage or 84 months. Ryan's adjusted gross income (AGI) for 2013 is $76,000. Ryan can deduct $880 ($9,240 ÷ 84 x 8 months) for qualified mortgage insurance premiums in 2013. For 2014, Ryan can deduct $1,320 ($9,240 ÷ 84 x 12 months) if his AGI is $100,000 or less.
In this example, the mortgage insurance premiums are allocated over 84 months, which is shorter than the life of the mortgage of 15 years (180 months).

2 years ago I paid upfront mortgage insurance and was amortizing over the 84 months.  In year 3, I refinanced to a conventional loan.  IRS publication 936 indicates that no mortgage insurance deduction is allowed for the unamortized balance if the mortgage is satisfied before its term.  Common man translation - since I refinanced I cannot continue to deduct my upfront mortgage through the remaining 84 months.  Any in agreement or would argue otherwise???
snow2cold

Did I read that this tax break goes away in 2017?  I bought my place in 2015, so I still have to amortize over 84 months, but I can only take it for 2015 & 2016?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies