jgrigsby1

Can i deduct the personal property tax for both of my vehicles? I used both for my business. And, registration as well?

MargaretL

Yes, you can deduct property tax for both of the vehicles and the registration fee (the fee must be based on the value of the vehicle and be charged on a yearly basis). Since you mention that you used both cars for business, let me give you more details on the deduction.

Only the business portion is deductible. If you use the car for business 80% for example, 80% of the above fees are your business deductions, the remaining portion goes to Deductions & Credits section as your personal deduction. 

These deductions are only included in your car expenses if you use the Actual Car Expense method, and are not using Standard Miles method. If you do use Standard Mileage method, then the deductions are not used as business expenses, but you can enter them in the Deductions & Credits section. 

MargaretL