Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct the ins premiums as self-employed expense that I made to the marketplace since I made above my predicted income and had to pay the entire premiums?

I have always been able to deduct the cost of health insurance premiums as a business expense. Last year I tried the marketplace and predicted my income to stay as it was in previous years. However, I made too much and have to pay the entire premiums. So it seems that I should be able to deduct this expense under business.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Can I deduct the ins premiums as self-employed expense that I made to the marketplace since I made above my predicted income and had to pay the entire premiums?

Yes, if you reported self-employment income on Schedule C AND you used that income to buy health insurance through Healthcare.gov or your state Marketplace, you can deduct your premiums on your taxes. However, you need to tie that income to your 1095-A so TurboTax can properly calculate the deduction amount.

Access this section by choosing Personal >> Health Insurance.

Note that you may not deduct health care premiums paid to the Marketplace on Schedule C. Instead, you receive an adjustment to your taxable income "above the line" on Form 1040.

After you enter the information from Form 1095-A, look for the page "Do any of these situations apply?" Check the box for "Self-employed and bought a Marketplace Plan" (see screenshot below - click to enlarge), choose the business that should be tied to this policy, and answer the remaining questions.

TurboTax will calculate the amount of Premium Tax Credit you should have received and how much you need to pay back (or how much more you'll receive). The actual premiums you paid plus/minus this adjustment is reported on Form 1040 Line 29.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you reported self-employment income on Schedule C AND you used that income to buy health insurance through Healthcare.gov or your state Marketplace, you can deduct your premiums on your taxes. However, you need to tie that income to your 1095-A so TurboTax can properly calculate the deduction amount.

Access this section by choosing Personal >> Health Insurance.

Note that you may not deduct health care premiums paid to the Marketplace on Schedule C. Instead, you receive an adjustment to your taxable income "above the line" on Form 1040.

After you enter the information from Form 1095-A, look for the page "Do any of these situations apply?" Check the box for "Self-employed and bought a Marketplace Plan" (see screenshot below - click to enlarge), choose the business that should be tied to this policy, and answer the remaining questions.

TurboTax will calculate the amount of Premium Tax Credit you should have received and how much you need to pay back (or how much more you'll receive). The actual premiums you paid plus/minus this adjustment is reported on Form 1040 Line 29.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies