Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bdr109

Can I deduct my flight training expenses?

Can I deduct my flight training expenses? I am in the Air National Guard. I work as an admin in our Logistics Squadron at a particular Wing. In 2016, I was hired as pilot in the Operations Squadron at the same Wing. This position was contingent upon me obtaining a Private Pilot Certificate. In 2017, I went to a school listed on FAFSA as well as the VA and paid them a little over $15k out of my own pocket and received my Private Pilot Certificate. This allowed me to keep my position. Are those expenses tax deductible?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

For the work-related expense deduction, you can't deduct expenses needed to qualify for a new position.  The fact that you were hired contingent on providing your own training and were not previously a pilot means you can't deduct the cost as a work-related expense.

If you paid tuition to an institution of higher education that is accredited by the US Dept of Education, then you can apply the tuition toward the Lifetime Learning Credit, assuming you meet the other eligibility requirements for it.  https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/llc

View solution in original post

1 Reply

For the work-related expense deduction, you can't deduct expenses needed to qualify for a new position.  The fact that you were hired contingent on providing your own training and were not previously a pilot means you can't deduct the cost as a work-related expense.

If you paid tuition to an institution of higher education that is accredited by the US Dept of Education, then you can apply the tuition toward the Lifetime Learning Credit, assuming you meet the other eligibility requirements for it.  https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/llc

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies