Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct mortgage interest on two primary homes and one vacation home, as I temporarily owned three homes for 4 months until I sold the initial primary home?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Can I deduct mortgage interest on two primary homes and one vacation home, as I temporarily owned three homes for 4 months until I sold the initial primary home?

You can only claim mortgage interest on your primary home and ONE second home.

Please read this IRS document for more information:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p936

In your situation, for the four months when you own three homes, you should choose the home with the least mortgage interest in those four months and not claim mortgage interest for that home for those four months.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

You can only claim mortgage interest on your primary home and ONE second home.

Please read this IRS document for more information:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p936

In your situation, for the four months when you own three homes, you should choose the home with the least mortgage interest in those four months and not claim mortgage interest for that home for those four months.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you.  For property taxes, I can deduct the taxes for all three homes for the entire time period, correct?

Yes
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies